People often ask me how I stay so happy.
In this world, there's a lot of sad things all around us. Just turn your television on and look at the news. Really, there's actually very few rays of sunshine in this society of darkness and depression. It's hard to think about, I know.
In this post I'm gonna share a few things I've learned to stay joyful even though life is stressful and we get to caught up in the drama of the world. Okay, here I go.
1. Stop comparing yourself to other people. This is one of the first things we learn to do as individuals. Compare ourselves to the people around us. We see someone who appears to have it all together and think, "Wait, if I just looked like they did, or dressed like they did, or have the friends they have, I would be happy!" We lie to ourselves by telling us that we aren't good enough or we aren't "normal." But here's a question, if everyone is different, how do we even determine what "normal" is? Work at being the best YOU that you can be. You weren't made to be anyone else and you won't be happy as anyone else.
2. Start living in the moment. We need to stop worrying about tomorrow and just enjoy life right now. We can't fast forward life so why bother trying to rush through it? Breathe in. Now exhale. Yes, life can get rough but you're reading this so you're alive and that's something to be thankful for, right? See, that's living in the moment. Just take in all the little things and relish scenarios that others don't take time to notice. Life's so much more fun when you're not wishing you were somewhere else!
3. Exercise more. Yes, I did just say that. I know, I know, not all of you enjoy the thought of waking up in the morning and working your body to the point of exhaustion but that's not all that exercise means! You don't have to be at the gym to exercise. Go for a bike ride in a scenic area, play frisbee with you dog, do yoga in the park with a friend. Since I've been living on Mackinac Island, I've learned that exercise is disguised in so many different ways. Interestingly enough, your body actually releases chemicals that make you feel happier when you work out. It's kind of like a natural antidepressant. Your body will thank you for it!
4. Set aside time each day to do something you love. You might be an avid bookworm, a future Picasso, an up-and-coming Martha Stewart or simply just love to bake. I've found that if I work my hobbies into my literal schedule I'm more apt to actually take time for myself. Having a busy schedule can be a good thing but even if you're the overachiever, you need to have some "me time" daily.
5. Help other people before yourself. I realize I just got done talking about spending time on yourself but this one is so important! Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you need to sell everything you own and become a missionary in the Amazon. (On a side not, if you do feel the Lord telling you to do that, do it! There's nothing more fulfilling than doing the Lord's work and following His leading.) I'm talking about helping someone in need or even just putting someone else first. Pay for that lady's groceries, let that boy cut you in line, pick up the money that elderly lady dropped. This not only can make their day but surprisingly enough, it can actually put an even bigger smile on your face! There's just something about helping others that makes me happy. Try it just once, you'd be surprised how much joy it brings to your day!
Okay, so there's five things that I'm working on practicing daily to make me a happier person. The list could go on but I had to stop somewhere. Smile often and never give up! Hope you enjoyed my first post. I'll write often!
-Anna
No comments:
Post a Comment